- Leg lamb
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Harissa, dry spice (in the herb and spices section at most supermarkets)
- 2-4 cups stock (enough to cover meat and other ingredients)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- In a stovetop and ovenproof pan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until cooked.
- Add spices and stir until aromatic.
- Add meat and fry until brown.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and transfer to the oven. Cook on low heat (around 140oC)
If you are using a slow-cooker, you can skip the steps above and:
Put all ingredients into the slow-cooker, except the chickpeas, and cook on low for 4-8 hours.
Add the chickpeas for the last hour of cooking then separate the meat from the bone and serve with mashed potato, cous cous or rice salad (see recipe)
and a generous serve of steamed or boiled vegetables.
Learn More: Family Meal Planning and Recipes